Show Dates: March 5 – April 6, 2018
Northern Lights Juried Art Exhibition will feature some of Minnesota and Wisconsin’s finest artists and is a great opportunity to build your artistic profile, resume, and portfolio. We encourage you to apply.
|Show dates:||March 5 – April 6, 2018|
|Location:||Ford Family Gallery at WBCA|
|Submission Deadline:||Friday, January 12, 11:59 PM|
|Notification of selected works:||Approximately February 5|
|Artwork dropoff:||Saturday, February 24, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
Monday, February 26, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
Tuesday, February 27, 9:00 AM-8:00 PM
|Opening reception:||Thursday, March 8, 6:30-8:30 PM|
|Artwork pickup:||Saturday, April 7, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
Monday, April 9, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
|Entry fee:||1-3 entries: $30 Member/$45 Non-Member
4-6 entries: $40 Member/$55 Non-Member
Submission of work does not guarantee acceptance.
- Open to living artists residing in Minnesota & Wisconsin
- Recent 2D and 3D works, including but not limited to drawings, paintings, fiber, pottery, photography, and sculptures
- All artwork must be original in composition and concept, and executed solely by the artist. No copies or class work. Pieces deemed not original to the artist will be disqualified.
- Inappropriate subject matter is not acceptable. WBCA reserves the right to determine acceptability.
Conditions for selected works
- All hanging work must be properly framed (gallery wrap with no staples showing on the sides is also acceptable) and have a hanging wire. No sawtooth or photo hangers.
- Hanging wire should be 1/3 down from top of piece, not taut nor too much slack (the wire shouldn’t be too close to the top edge).
- Oil and acrylic paintings must be framed unless the painting extends to the sides of the canvas.
- Drawings, prints, and watercolors must be under glass and framed.
- Photographs should be under glass and framed. Exceptions include photographs printed on metal or canvas if the photograph extends to the sides of the canvas. Other methods may be acceptable – contact WBCA with questions.
- 2D work must not exceed a total perimeter measurement of 240 inches, frame included
- 3D work must not exceed 6 feet in any direction or weigh more than 100 pounds.
- Minimum size to the discretion of the artist.
- Please contact WBCA at 651-407-0597 or email@example.com with any questions about artwork criteria.
- Artwork must be listed with a sales price or denoted not for sale (NFS).
- White Bear Center for the Arts will handle all art sales. Artwork priced for sale should include 30% commission.
Entry process – all entries must be submitted online!
- Entry is closed for 2018
- Enter contact and membership information.
- Enter your entry information and images. You can submit up to 6 entries (your entry fee will depend on the number of entries; see price tiers above).
- For each 2D entry, you may submit one image. For each 3D entry, you may submit three images. Images must be .jpg, .jpeg, or .png. Maximum image size is 15 MB. High quality images are strongly encouraged.
- Your payment amount will be determined by your membership status and number of entries submitted. Select a payment option. If you choose to pay online, you will be able to enter your credit card information through PayPal. If you do not pay online, you must pay by check, cash, or by calling WBCA with your credit card information. To pay by credit card over the phone, call 651.407.0597. Make checks out to White Bear Center for the Arts and mail to 4971 Long Avenue, White Bear Lake, MN 55110.
- All entries must be submitted through the online form by January 12, 11:59 PM – NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. If you submitted your entry but did not pay your fee via PayPal, you must submit payment to WBCA no later than January 19, 4:00 PM. Your entry is not official until we receive your payment.
- Notification of jury decisions will be mailed the week of February 5.
- Selected artwork may be dropped off or mailed to WBCA.
- WBCA will accept dropped off artwork Saturday, February 24 (10:00 AM-2:00 PM), Monday, February 26 (9:00 AM-4:00 PM), and Tuesday, February 27 (9:00 AM-8:00 PM).
- Mailed artwork must arrive no later than March 14. All shipped artwork must be prepaid with postage included! Packaging and labeling should clearly identify the artist and piece. There is a $15 handling fee for shipped artwork.
- An identification label for each selected work must be attached to the back on the upper left-hand corner of 2D work and wherever feasible on 3D work.
- Reasonable care will be taken in handling and displaying art work, but no responsibility is assumed by White Bear Center for the Arts (WBCA) for loss or damage of any kind. Submission of work indicates acceptance of these conditions and agreement that digital or photographic images may be used for publicity purposes by WBCA, including on the WBCA website.
- Artist also agrees to pickup artwork on Saturday, April 7 (10:00 AM-2:00 PM) or Monday, April 9 (9:00 AM-4:00 PM). All artwork must be displayed until this time. A late fee of $15, plus $5 per week, will be assessed for any items not picked up by 4:00 PM on April 9 (NO EXCEPTIONS!).
- Cash awards – Best of Show, Excellence Awards, Merit Awards
- Plus 3 Judge’s Choice Awards
Contact us at 651.407.0597 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
BEST OF SHOW
AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
George G.I. Moore
The Artist and His Copyright
AWARDS OF MERIT
Pine Needle Tray
San Jacinto Serenade
Heidi E. Nelson
Judge-Susan Hartzell Vannelli
Southern Light, Northern Hemisphere
TIPS ON PHOTOGRAPHING YOUR WORK
Photographing Your Work from University of Colorado Boulder If you need help photographing your work,
WBCA is offering photograph sessions for members with Lars Samuelsson on January 5, 2018 between 11 AM-2 PM. Call (651) 407-0597 to reserve your spot. The charge will be $15 per session which includes light post-processing in Lightroom/Photoshop and 1 high-resolution file and 1 smaller file for emailing purposes. All work will be shared via the cloud service Dropbox using your email.
RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
The following is a list of businesses providing film services.
Medicine Chest in White Bear Lake will photograph your image for a fee. 651.429.5356
DigiGraphics – Located in Minneapolis, DigiGraphics is a full-service professional photo service lab. 2639 Minnehaha Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55406. Call 888-721-3259 or visit online at www.digidigi.com.
ProColor – With locations in Minneapolis, Edina and St. Cloud, ProColor offers a wide range of professional photo services. Call 800-328-7154 or visit online at www.procolor.com
Gamma Tech, Online, www.gammatech.com
Pro Digital Photos, Online, www.prodigitalphotos.com
IFP MN – IFP MN provides free scanner access for mnartists.org artists. They also rent film,
photo and editing equipment to members. Call for an appointment. 2446 University Avenue West, Suite 100, St. Paul, MN 55114, 651-644-1912, www.ifpmn.org