High School Visual Arts Contest
The 2019 High School Visual Arts Contest is supported in part by Vadnais Heights Area Community Foundation
Students in grades 9-12 are invited to enter original art in our High School Visual Arts Contest. This is a juried art show with cash awards, 3 scholarships for classes at the Minneapolis College of Art & Design, and other prizes. All submissions must be completed online. Submission does not guarantee acceptance.
Entry Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2019, 11:59 PM
April 25 – May 15, 2019
Thursday, April 25, 2019, 6:30-8:30 PM
White Bear Center for the Arts, Ford Family Gallery
4971 Long Avenue
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Notification of selected works:
Week of March 25, 2019
- Recent 2D and 3D works, including but not limited to drawings, paintings, fiber, pottery, photography, and sculptures.
- All artwork must be original in composition and concept, and executed solely by the artist. Pieces deemed not original to the artist will be disqualified.
- Inappropriate subject matter is not acceptable. WBCA reserves the right to determine acceptability.
Conditions for selected works
- If accepted, 2D work must be suitably framed or prepared, and ready for hanging. Hanging wire is preferred, but sawtooth or photo hangers are acceptable. Please note: This is an opportunity to display your artwork in a professional setting. Framing your work is an important part of public presentation and strongly encouraged.
- Oil and acrylic paintings must be framed unless the painting extends to the sides of the canvas.
- 2D work must not exceed a total perimeter measurement of 240 inches, frame included.
- 3D work must not exceed 6 feet in any direction or weigh more than 100 pounds.
- Minimum size to the discretion of the artist.
- Please contact WBCA at 651-407-0597 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about artwork criteria.
- Artwork must be listed with a sales price, or denoted not for sale (NFS).
- White Bear Center for the Arts will handle all art sales. Artwork priced for sale should include 30% commission.
Entry process – all entries must be submitted online
- Entry deadline is Friday, March 1, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Submit Your Entries Here!
- Enter contact information.
- Enter your entry information and images. You may submit up to 3 entries. Please be specific when entering your medium – it makes it easier to judge your artwork (for example, “Watercolor” is more helpful than “Paint”).
- Dimensions should be provided in inches. For 2D pieces, provide Height x Width (example: 24″ x 18″). For 3D pieces, provide Height x Width x Depth (example: 10″ x 10″ x 8″).
- For each 2D entry, you may submit one image. For each 3D entry, you may submit three images. Images must be .jpg, .jpeg, or .png. Maximum image size is 10 MB. High quality images are strongly encouraged.
- Notification of jury decisions will be mailed the week of March 25, 2019.
- No Substitutions. Selected pieces cannot be swapped for another piece. Only pieces selected by the jury will be accepted.
- Selected artwork may be dropped off or mailed to WBCA.
- WBCA will accept dropped off artwork:
- Thursday, April 18, 2019, 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Friday, April 19, 2019, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Saturday, April 20, 2019, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Mailed artwork must arrive no later than April 18, 2019. All shipped artwork must come with prepaid return postage included. Packaging and labeling should clearly identify the artist and piece.
- WBCA WILL NOT ACCEPT ARTWORK AFTER APRIL 20, 2019 (NO EXCEPTIONS).
- An identification label for each selected work must be attached to the back, upper left-hand corner of 2D work, and wherever feasible on 3D work.
- Reasonable care will be taken in handling and displaying art work, but no responsibility is assumed by WBCA for loss or damage of any kind. Submission of work indicates acceptance of these conditions and agreement that images of work may be used for publicity purposes by WBCA, including on the WBCA website.
- Artist agrees to pick up artwork:
- Thursday, May 16, 2019, 9:00 AM-8:00 PM
- Friday, May 17, 2019, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
- Saturday, May 18, 2019, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
All artwork must be displayed until this time. A late fee of $15, plus $5 per week, will be assessed for any items not picked up by May 18, 2019 (NO EXCEPTIONS).
Cash awards – 1 Best of Show: $200, 2 Excellence Awards: $100, 3 Merit Awards: $50
Contact WBCA at 651.407.0597 or email@example.com with any questions.
Congratulations to the 2018 Award Winners!
Best in Show
Hannah Sammon – The Pool
Vidhya Mallikarjunan – Syrian Exodus
Awards of Excellence
Nicholas Gambeski – The Pacific Coast
Grace Leclaire – Radio Flyer
Awards of Merit
Devin Close – Breakfast
James Framke – Canteen Bottle
Noah Wilkins – Future’s Past
Sydney Abbot – Lost and Found
Emily Hoffman – Flower Pot
Mya Geiger – Crackle Pot