“Jag älskar dig!” means “I Love You!” in Swedish
Illustration by Karna Holub
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
For the meatballs:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and the chopped onion. Cook until soft and translucent (3 minutes).
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, eggs, breadcrumbs, cooked onion, salt, pepper and allspice.
- Shape into meatballs with your hands (use a cookie scoop for the correct proportion).
- Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs in batches, turning often to brown all sides. When cooked through transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
To make the gravy:
- Add ¼ cup butter to the skillet to melt.
- Whisk in flour and cook until golden (2-3 minutes).
- Slowly add beef broth, Worcestershire, and half and half
- Whisk constantly until thickened.
- Stir in sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add meatballs back to the skillet. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes (and a little Lingonberry Jam).
*To make this meal gluten free – substitute cornstarch for the flour and use gluten free Panko bread crumbs.