High School Visual Arts Contest
Students in grades 9-12 residing in the Northeast Metro Area are invited to enter original art in the High School Visual Arts Contest sponsored by White Bear Center for the Arts (WBCA). This is a juried art show with cash awards. All submissions must be completed online. Submission does not guarantee acceptance.
Entry Deadline: Friday, March 10, 2017, 11:59 PM
May 1-19, 2017
Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 6:30-8:30 PM
White Bear Center for the Arts, Ford Family Gallery
4971 Long Avenue
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Notification of selected works:
Week of March 27th
- Recent 2D and 3D works, including but not limited to drawings, paintings, fiber, pottery, photography, and sculptures.
- All artwork must be original in composition and concept, and executed solely by the artist. Pieces deemed not original to the artist will be disqualified.
- Inappropriate subject matter is not acceptable. WBCA reserves the right to determine acceptability.
Conditions for selected works
- If accepted, 2D work must be suitably framed or prepared, and ready for hanging. Hanging wire is preferred, but sawtooth or photo hangers are acceptable. Please note: This is an opportunity to display your artwork in a professional setting. Framing your work is an important part of public presentation and strongly encouraged.
- Oil and acrylic paintings must be framed unless the painting extends to the sides of the canvas.
- 2D work must not exceed a total perimeter measurement of 240 inches, frame included.
- 3D work must not exceed 6 feet in any direction or weigh more than 100 pounds.
- Minimum size to the discretion of the artist.
- Please contact WBCA at 651-407-0597 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about artwork criteria.
- Artwork must be listed with a sales price, or denoted not for sale (NFS).
- White Bear Center for the Arts will handle all art sales. Artwork priced for sale should include 30% commission.
Entry process – all entries must be submitted online!
- Enter via online form.
- Enter contact information.
- Enter your entry information and images. You may submit up to 3 entries.
- For each 2D entry, you may submit one image. For each 3D entry, you may submit three images. Images must be .jpg, .jpeg, or .png. Maximum image size is 10 MB. High quality images are strongly encouraged.
- Notification of jury decisions will be mailed the week of March 27.
- Selected artwork may be dropped off or mailed to WBCA.
- WBCA will accept dropped off artwork Saturday, April 22 (afternoon only), Monday, April 24, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM, and Tuesday, April 25, 9:00 AM-8:00 PM.
- Mailed artwork must arrive no later than April 25th. All shipped artwork must come with prepaid return postage included! Packaging and labeling should clearly identify the artist and piece.
- WBCA WILL NOT ACCEPT ARTWORK AFTER APRIL 25 (NO EXCEPTIONS).
- An identification label for each selected work must be attached to the back, upper left-hand corner of 2D work, and wherever feasible on 3D work.
- Reasonable care will be taken in handling and displaying art work, but no responsibility is assumed by WBCA for loss or damage of any kind. Submission of work indicates acceptance of these conditions and agreement that images of work may be used for publicity purposes by WBCA, including on the WBCA website.
- Artist also agrees to pick up artwork on Saturday, May 20, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM, Monday, May 22, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM, or Tuesday, May 23, 9:00 AM-8:00 PM. All artwork must be displayed until this time. A late fee of $15, plus $5 per week, will be assessed for any items not picked up by May 23rd (NO EXCEPTIONS).
Cash awards – 1 Best of Show: $200, 2 Excellence Awards: $100, 3 Merit Awards: $50
Contact WBCA at 651.407.0597 or email@example.com with any questions.
Congratulations to the 2016 award winners!
Best in Show
Abraham Townley – Cow
Award of Excellence
Samantha DiStefano – Memories of a Confused Moment
Kevin Tran – Remorse
Award of Merit
Anna Craggs – Orange Intersection
Natalie Louderback – The Family Tree
Sofia Preciado – Mi Casa?
Emma Persoon – Snow White
Caitlin Rademacher – Emotions
Tom Schwartz – Melting Bowl
Katy Shevik – Bird on a Wire